Vacation Thoughts

On the best vacations, you:
  • wish you could stay longer
  • learn new things about the world and yourself
  • lose track of time and forget to check your phone/facebook/email and
  • are happy to come home.
We had the best vacation.









I did remember a fun book about southwest desert animals on our long, long drive from Utah to southern California.
I Howl, I Growl by Marcia Vaughan, illustrated by Polly Powell, shows a couple of animals doing there thing on each page, with a lyrical description. It is fun to read out loud, and opens up discussion about animals that are left out of most other picture books.


We drove mostly at night, and stayed in the city, so we didn't get to see any of the animals in this book, except the skunk. But we did admire the sand, mountains, cactus, and bush that they live in.
While we meandered around Balboa Park, got our feet wet in the ocean, and took in the dolphin and whale shows at Sea World, I was thinking of what I could share with you about children's literature. But mostly I was not thinking about that. The only take-away I have so far is an idea for a picture book, in which seagulls are the villains and Goldfish crackers are the victims, but I can't think of a hero. I could be the hero, except I'm not sure I'd call this holey-pecked, sandy bag reclamation a victory.


What's your favorite part of vacationing? Have you written anything funny or sweet or reflective about your vacation experiences?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes my day to hear your insights, input, and friendly opinion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...