Dinosaurs!

We recently visited The Museum of Ancient Life, and correct me if I'm wrong, but it is the largest dinosaur museum in the world. There are replicas with real fossil parts of prehistoric giants like Tyrannosaurus Rex and Brachiosaurus. I really like the ocean room with Archelon (giant ancient sea turtle). Baby A liked playing in the sand, where she and her aunt M brushed to expose "fossils". 



We had to get a picture with Stegasaurus, because in antcipation of our visit, Baby A got her first painting, a stegosaurus, at the Provo Library Children's Book Festival that morning (more on that another day!) Aunt M showed off her smarts by explaining the bones of Triceratops with fancy words like "scapula" and showing us the nasal cavity. I learned fun facts, like that Tyrannosaurus Rex means tyrant king, and Segnosaurus means slow lizard. (I think any insults I must use will be in the form of dinosaur names from now on...speed up, you segnosaurus!) My mom got Baby A her first puzzle from the gift shop. Since Baby A's going-home-from-the-hospital outfit was dinosaurs, and just because dinosaurs are awesome, I am trying to convince her to be really into them. Luckily, there are plenty of picture books to feed that fire! I will have to do more than one review on dinosaur books, but if you can't wait, I liked the list on this educational resource site. On our last library visit, I checked out three of the How Do Dinosaurs [...] books by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Mark Teague (click to watch an excellent interview)

2007
2003
2009









Basically, they delightfully encourage good behavior by substituting dinosaurs for a boy in common situations like recess, dinnertime, and a doctor visit. Each book includes illustrations of actual dinosaurs, so fanatics can learn the difference in supposed appearance of Tuojiangosaurus and Gallimimus. Different dinosaurs and parents are featured on each page, because it is not a linear story. I just wish some of the dinosaurs had been girls. Early school-aged children would enjoy this series. In bookstores now is How Do Dinosaurs Laugh Out Loud? (2011) with funny rhymes, liftable flaps, and stickers.


In draft are many other delightful dinosaur book suggestions. Do you love dinosaurs, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes my day to hear your insights, input, and friendly opinion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...