Old Christmas Reads and New Traditions

Do you revisit any favorite books or poems every winter?
I always read a few short favorites, and then mix in a few other classics.

Each year, (this is the second year of many to come, I hope,) Baby A gets a Christmas book. I still haven't quite decided which one to get her this year, though I'd like to give it to her tomorrow, on Pikku Joulu. My godmother suggested Mauri Kunnas' Santa books. I have Koiramäen Joulukirkko (Doghill's Christmas Church or Christmas Mass), and I'd love more Kunnas gems.

my bookshelf's bottom shelf for Christmas-y books


My holiday reads this year: 
Luke 2, The Holy Bible (Luke)
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost, illustrated by Susan Jeffers
Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore (I like this nostalgic Perry Como video reading with 1958 Whitman Publishing edition illustrations by Florence Sarah Winship)
Lucia and the Light by Phyllis Root
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Pulling out these books adds to the anticipation and quiet busy of the season for me. For extra fun,  we'll be starting our Advent Chain tonight! We used this printable and tweaked it to fit our household.

my advent chain, adorning my refrigerator

Does your reading list look like mine, or is it different? What else are you doing, for the fiftieth or first time, to cheer up this winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes my day to hear your insights, input, and friendly opinion!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...